12th July 2023 | Insights
How to create a content plan
To develop a content plan, it’s important to consider your goals, target audience, and available resources. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you create an effective content plan:
- Define your objectives: Determine what you want to achieve with your content. Examples could include increasing brand awareness, driving website traffic, generating leads, or establishing thought leadership.
- Identify your target audience: Understand who your content is intended for. Consider demographics, interests, pain points, and preferred channels. This will help tailor your content to their needs and preferences.
- Conduct a content audit: Evaluate your existing content to identify gaps, strengths, and areas for improvement. Assess which types of content have performed well in the past and which have not. This will provide insights into what works for your audience and what you can build upon.
- Establish content themes/topics: Ideate a list of relevant topics that align with your objectives and audience interests. These topics should be valuable, informative, and engaging. Consider conducting keyword research to identify popular search terms related to your industry.
- Determine content types/formats: Choose the most suitable content formats for each topic. Examples include blog posts, videos, infographics, podcasts, case studies, or whitepapers. Varying content types can help cater to different audience preferences and increase engagement.
- Create a content calendar: Develop a schedule for when and how often you will publish content. Use a content calendar to organise your topics, formats, and publishing dates. This will help ensure a consistent flow of content and make it easier to plan ahead.
- Assign responsibilities: Determine who will be responsible for creating, editing, and promoting each piece of content. Allocate tasks to your team members or consider outsourcing certain aspects if needed.
- Incorporate SEO: Optimise your content for search engines to increase visibility and organic traffic. Identify relevant keywords and incorporate them strategically in your content titles, headings, and body text. Ensure your content is well-structured, readable, and provides value to the reader
- Promote your content: Develop a promotion strategy to ensure your content reaches your target audience. Share it on social media, send newsletters to your subscribers, collaborate with influencers or industry partners, and engage in relevant online communities. Consider paid advertising or boosting posts to increase reach and impact.
- Analyse and refine: Regularly review the performance of your content. Track metrics such as website traffic, engagement, conversions, and social media shares. Analyse the data to identify what’s working well and what needs improvement. Use these insights to refine your content strategy and optimise future efforts.
Remember, the key to a successful content plan is consistency, quality, and providing value to your audience. Adapt your plan as needed based on audience feedback, market trends, and business goals.